Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Getting Ready

This has been a busy summer for me.  Today is only the second day since school has been out that I haven't had something to do either for remodeling my sons house, Huntington Outdoor Theatre or Cabell County Schools.  I've been going from around 7:00 AM to Midnight most nights.  I am looking forward to next week.  The chance to explore WV and hopefully meet a lot of WV is exciting to me.  I've been reflecting a lot about this project, and although the science and technology is interesting, I believe the true importance for this me of this project is the opportunity to gain a better understanding of the social impact of Coal.

As a student of history, political science and history, I have a deep appreciation for how these areas of study affect the scientific research that takes place.  Science may point out problems and pose solutions but if politicians and the people aren't on board nothing will happen.  West Virginia is on the verge of another fossil fuel boom.  Will we learn from our past in dealing with Marcellus Shale, or will go down the same rabbit hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment